Friday, August 21, 2009

Why all the Mickey Mouse security?

At both school and work they force me to invent these complex passwords which periodically expire and I have to invent new ones.



At work it has to be exactly 7 letters long with a number. It expires every 3 months and then I have to memorize a new one. Of course I frequently forget them then.



At school it鈥檚 the same thing only I have to capitalize one and just one letter.



My bank is absolutely impossible. They want the number somewhere in the middle of the password!



And for what?



No one is going to try to get into my homework file at school and no terrorists are going to hack their way into the computer system warehouse and screw up their inventory.



Management does a great job of that all by itself without help from terrorists.



Why can't passwords be simple and not expire? What is the worst thing that could happen if these programmers made it easy?



Why all the Mickey Mouse security?vincent



They shouldn't be forcing you to do anything in regards to your personal security - I don't really think it's their job.



I would agree with no-one wanting to hack your file at school unless they were some pathetic blithering idiot. Your bank has reason to encourage you to create strong passwords. However, I don't think your school really needs to bother. It's funny - my school is the opposite; on our first day we were randomly assigned words from the dictionary (Mine's 'might').

No comments:

Post a Comment